The Central Road Research Institute, New Delhi signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Centre for Disaster Mitigation & Management, Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), Vellore on Landslide Disasters and Culture of Road Safety in Disaster Prone Areas of India.
Recognizing the importance of fostering, promoting and sustaining the culture of safety against all forms of hazards and disasters and desiring to strengthen this cooperation on the basis of synergy of core competence especially in the area of landslide hazards and ensuing
mutual benefit, the two have agreed as follows:
- Joint initiatives in evolving a blueprint of action plan for 2006-10 based on perceived national needs, synergy of strengths and common interests
- Joint meetings, seminars, public awareness programmes etc.
- Joint training programmes for the target groups
- Joint inspections and investigations of cataclysmic events
- Joint safety audits
- Author safety manuals, guidelines and such other publications
- Exchange of information
- Any other, to be mutually decided.
Dr P.K. Nanda, Director, CRRI and Sh. P. Radhakrishnan, Vice-Chancellor, Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore, signed the MoU on 16 March 2006.